17 - Quinby Bridge/Shubrick’s Plantation
“Raid of the Dog Days”
In the summer of 1781, with the British hold on the interior of South Carolina significantly weakened, Continental commander Maj. Gen. Nathaniel Greene sent Brig. Gen. Thomas Sumter, with Brig. Gen. Francis Marion and Lt. Col. Henry “Light Horse Harry” Lee, to force the British to abandon the area around Charleston and retreat into the city. As Sumter led a force of nearly a thousand men from Orangeburg, British Col. James Coates evacuated the post at Monck’s Corner and began moving his troops toward the safety of Charleston.
On July 17, 1781, near Quinby Bridge, Lee’s cavalry captured Coates’s rear guard and baggage caravan. A portion of Lee’s riders crossed the bridge and clashed with the British infantry ~ loosening so many planks in the process that the rest of Lee’s and Marion’s forces had to march upstream and cross Quinby Creek at a ford. By that time, the British had taken up a strong position in the main house, outbuildings and slave quarters of Shubrick’s Plantation. Against the advice of Marion and Lee, Sumter ordered an assault that quickly turned into a costly stalemate. Marion’s Brigade alone reported eight or nine killed and eighteen wounded.
Accustomed to conservative tactics that did not unnecessarily risk their lives, many of Marion’s men deserted after the battle, and Marion himself resolved never again to fight under Sumter.
Erected 2012 by Francis Marion Trail Commission of Francis Marion University.
(No Marker Number)