12 - Lewisfield Plantation
The plantation was the site of a surprise attack against the British. Col. Wade Hampton destroyed several boatloads of supplies and took 78 prisoners. The skirmish took place between the plantation’s house and the West Branch of the Cooper River. The distance between the two locations is about 100’-150.’
(Historical Marker) – This land, part of Fairlawn Barony and known as Little Landing, was bought in 1767 by Sedgwick Lewis. His daughter Sarah married Keating Simons. They acquired the land in 1774 and are presumed to have built the present plantation house. Tradition has it that during the Revolution, Col. Wade Hampton took seventy-eight British prisoners and burned two boats with supplies and plunder at the nearby river landing.
Erected 1978 by Berkeley County Historical Society
Note: on 14 September 1767, Sedgewick Lewis purchased 1,000 acres on the riverfront adjoining Exeter Plantation and changed the name to Lewisfield.