02 - Moncks Corner - Biggins Bridge
14 April 1780
Here where the Road to the Congarees branched off the Charlestown Road, about 3:30 a.m. on 13 April 1780, Colonel William Washington’s Light Dragoons were surprised by a superior force of the British under Lt. Colonel James Webster and his infantry, Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton, and Major Patrick Ferguson. Maj. Vernier, of Pulaski’s Legion, and 25 men were killed, and the Americans routed. The British fortified the place, but in July 1781, abandoned the redoubt here and fell back to the parish church which had been fortified.