01 - Fortifying Cainhoy - Wando River
13 April 1780
Patriot Col. Francois Malmady, with 200 men, were ordered by Gen. Benjamin Lincoln to Cainhoy on the north side of the Wando River, fifteen miles from Charlestown, to fortify that post prior to the fall of Charlestown to the British in May 1780. It also served as a supply depot on the last open communications route into Charlestown. South Carolina Patriot militia Col. Richard Richardson, Jr. commanded the post.